Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy "100th" Birthday Grandma Roper


Today my Grandma Roper would've turned 100 years old.  She passed away 18 years ago and it's so hard for me to believe that she has been gone that long.  My grandpa and her left quite a legacy.  I have to admit that I have the coolest family and it's always a PARTY when we all get together.  Last May Grandpa Roper would've turned 100 years old and our family threw a big SHEBANG to celebrate.  One of that hardest things about living away from family is missing out on all of the fun get togethers.  I was bummed that we weren't able to make it to Grandpa's celebration and I told myself that I won't miss another big party.  So, Mia and I made a last minute trip to Utah and it was totally worth it.


A party isn't a party with the cake.  As you can see here, this was one BIG cake.  It was made with 8 half sheet cakes.

A masterpiece in the works.  Grandma's favorite color was peach. 

The die-cuts on here represent the many things that remind us of Grandma.....her love for her children and grandchildren, Rook (she loved playing cards with her grandchildren), candy making (specifically honey candy), diligent in writing in her journal, quilting, cooking/baking, their mission in Samoa,  her love for music and of course she always wore sneakers. Grandma and Grandpa didn't have a clothes dryer and I have many memories of going to their house and there always being clean clothes out on the clothes line.

Yes, there were 100 candles to be exact!

Dad and his siblings
{L to R...Gary, Afton, Dot, Suzanne, Marj, Alan}
Mia is totally in her element on Grandpa's farm.  She was found numerous times soliciting people to take her for  rides on the wagon.  

Buck serving up some king crab legs.


Mia and her cousin Matti were inseparable and had a ball dancing together. 
 
Doing the Bunny Hop {a Roper tradition}
 

The wallflowers

1 comment:

Nelson said...

It looks like a perfect celebration! I am so glad you guys made it. That cake is really impressive.