Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Celebration!!!

My first attempt at decorating a birthday cake!
So, it has been a week since Kate's birthday and I must admit that it was a very emotional day. Bryan & I decided that we are going to make it a tradition to "get away" every year for Kate's birthday. Our good friends have a family cabin in Midway and let us stay there for a few days. I love Midway because it feels like you are on vacation even though you are only 40 miles away from home. It was so nice and relaxing. We had such a great time....watching movies, golfing (you betcha Bryan got in a round of 18) and eating (my favorite pumpkin pie shake from the Dairy Keen....Mmmm).On Tuesday, we drove to Fillmore to spend the afternoon/evening with our family. I just wanted everything to be oh so perfect. Not having Kate's headstone yet, I wanted to make sure it was decorated so cute. We got to the cemetery around 6:00 pm and the clouds were nasty and gray. The next thing we knew........a HUGE wind burst blew through the cemetery. We waited for a few minutes to see if it would die down, but it didn't. I was so upset. My family had planned a BBQ at the barn, so we decided to go and eat and see if the storm would blow through. My sweet little nieces and nephew drew these darling pictures for Kate. It just about broke my heart. They always ask questions about "Baby Kate" and I think it is so important to celebrate her life so they will always remember her.

Around 9:30 pm we went back to the cemetery and the wind was blowing just as hard and unfortunately, we weren't able to leave any of the decorations. Being so disappointed with the whole situation, I learned a valuable lesson. My sweet mom had talked to me about a thought she had. Basically she said that even though the day had not gone as planned, it doesn't matter to Kate whether or not she has balloons or flowers at her grave site. She knows that we love her. Even if everything had been perfect and the grave site decorated just the way I wanted it, the pain probably wouldn't have been lessened. What matters is that we were together as a family celebrating the life of our angel. Because we had to leave that night, my mom, SuSan, Drew, Gavin and Devin went up the next day to decorate Kate's grave and it was "Perfect."

12 comments:

Nelson said...

The cake turned out adorable! I am sure Kate enjoyed and appreciated everything that you did. She is so loved!

Lisa said...

That is so sweet Marcae. It is decorated so cute.

Lacey said...

Looks like we are playing phone tag again. I was wondering if the next day ended up being better. I know how disappointed you were. I love the pig balloon. Kate is truley blessed to have you as her mother. You cake is amazing! It makes me think of Katerbugs all dressed up in her Halloween costume. I love the memories from that night!

kacee said...

What a sweet little celebration!

No doubt that Kate knows just how much she is loved and missed!
The decorations/cake look awesome too!

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

It gets easier, I promise. Love you!

Charles, Kellie, Gabe and Khale said...

I can't imagine how hard this is for you and your family. You are an awesome mom! You are in our hearts and prayers.

Meladie said...

Marcae, I'm glad you were able to get away a little bit. I am sure Kate knows how much she is loved and missed by you guys. You are such great parents...and that cake is absolutely adorable! So sweet was your last post...You are such an example to me of faith and getting through trials or hard times with a smile :) thank you.

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you were able to get away for a little bit. The cake was SO adorable and they decorations were perfect. I love what your mom said . . . I have to remember that. What a insightful mom you have!

Fritzsche's said...

Marcae that cake was adorable. That is so sweet of them to decorate Kate's grave for you. I'm sure it all was hard to deal with. I also must say how cute Mia is. She seriously looks just like her daddy and I never realized it until now.

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

I love the cake, Marc. I'm glad you were able to spend part of the day with your family in Fillmore, even if things didn't go the way you had planned.

Your mom, SuSan and the kids did a great job decorating the next day.

Anonymous said...

Can you decorate my kids birthday cakes from now one. Scoot over Dipidee here comes Marcae. So sorry you have to deal with the emotions of missing your little one. My grandma was alone after my grandpa dies for 21 years and she was asked if it ever gets any easier. She said no you just get used to the pain a little more. Wish I could send a hug your way.

John and Kassie said...

You are such an amazing mommy---with a wise mother:) Kate's cake is absolutely darling and the balloons are perfect for Kate. I thought of you all day on Tuesday and after my company all left, the boys and I picked Kate some flowers-- I am sure they weren't so beautiful and perfect as they were intended (as Mace added some dandelions as we walked through the park, since those are his favorite)--- and I didn't know you guys were out of town--so who knows what they looked like when you got home:) Hug!